Let's talk about games

OK guys, it's nerd time. I'm going to share about some games that have been claiming my attention recently, and they may be relevant to your interests as well. I started writing this in my last post but once I start geeking out about games then it's hard to stop, so this gets its own entry.


Yomi is a card game that simulates fighting games like Street Fighter better than anything, ever. There's a reason for that. The designer, David Sirlin, is a champion Street Fighter player and did game balance on Street Fighter HD Remix. He also designed a game based on the gem-matching mechanics of Puzzle Fighter (the best puzzle game of all time). If any of that sounds interesting then you should definitely check it out. The physical game costs $100 which I truly believe is a bargain (and would make a great birthday present, hint hint). You can also play Yomi online for free and learn against the CPU.

For a long time I didn't understand it, then I learned that Facebook is for games. Now we're BFFs. The nature of the beast is that I only play most games for a week or two before the fun dries up and I forget why they were ever so compelling in the first place and then I quit. That's okay though. Jungle Jewels and Millionaire City are good for killing a few minutes at work.

Ogre is quite old compared to these other games, but it's new to me. It was described on an episode of Three Moves Ahead as easy to learn, quick to play, yet satisfyingly strategic. OK, I'm sold! Only problem is, it's out of print, and used copies sell for over $60 on eBay. So instead I created a full set of 76 game pieces with $15 worth of Scrabble tiles and hand-crafted token designs. Enjoy.

No comments: