Daddy Drinks: Special Lenten Edition


St. Bernardus, originally uploaded by Dominic Winsor

Although I chose to set aside alcohol for a time, I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea. Some folks think drinking is a sin. Obviously I am not one of them. Generations of Christians have enjoyed drinking beer free of guilt. To condemn it on religious principles would be to thumb our noses at this great tradition.

In fact those paragons of holiness, the monks, are great boosters of beer. During Lent, it was actually a crucial part of their diet! According to Wikipedia:

During the spring religious season of Lent, monks were required to fast. High-gravity Bock beers are higher in food energy and nutrients than lighter lagers, thus providing sustenance during this period.

Trappists in particular are famously known for not only drinking, but brewing fantastic samples of this liquid bread.

I didn't abstain from alcohol because I believe that drinking is a vice. On the contrary, beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. Since I enjoy it, giving it up is a sacrifice, and after my fast is over I will continue drinking it with gusto.

1 comment:

The Goodfellas said...

i think often when believers choose not to drink it's not to thumb their noses, but it's because they have friends or family who have struggled with alcohol, and they're trying not to let their freedom be a stumbling block. (i would quote it better if i could but i can't) :)