Ash Wednesday


Ash of Pokemon, originally uploaded by Vanman McDez

I am observing Lent again this year. After my epic vegan fail the last time around, I don't see the point in giving that another shot. My diet is restricted enough as it is.

Today's Ash Wednesday reflection from St. John's Abbey quotes Jesus saying, in Luke 9:23, "If you wish to be my disciple, you must take up your cross each day, and follow in my steps." The author comments:

Some of the stuff we hear about Lent suggests that we look for what I would call luxury crosses or substitute crosses. Instead of handling well the cross that is right before us, we decide on something more satisfying to our egos...the only genuine crosses are those we have not chosen ourselves.

He suggests closely looking at your own life to see what good needs to be done.

So for Lent this year, after sober reflection, it became clear what I have to do. I hereby resolve to stop farting in front of my wife. That is my cross to bear.

No comments: