Memorial


manhattan memorial lights, originally uploaded by absolutwade

I write to remember. One year from now, I will be looking back on my last Memorial Day as a non-parent. So, what were my weekends like before baby came along?

In the mornings I wake up refreshed from a full night's sleep. The dog might start whining around 6:00 when she needs to go outside, but it's just as likely that I'll be awake before then. She takes care of business and I feed her breakfast.

The Internet beckons. After some time-wasting, I check the forecast: if it's not supposed to rain, I water all the plants and tend to our flowers. Then it's back inside for a cup of coffee and some light reading before taking a shower. My wife sleeps in until 10.

When she wakes up, it's time for a little housework. We catch up on chores, do some cleaning, run a few loads of laundry. If the weather is good then we work in the yard a bit. The rest of the day is up for grabs.

At least every other weekend we visit family. We don't have many local friends but sometimes we drive out of town to visit college buddies and, increasingly, their kids. I make sure to get out on my motorcycle once or twice. In the evening I may have a drink to cap off the day, we watch TV for a while, and go to bed around 10.

We've been married without children for three and a half years. It's been a good run so far, but still, I wouldn't want to keep on like this forever. I look forward to seeing what the future has in store.

No comments: