2010 in review

It's time once again for my annual navel-gazing ritual! I started to write a point-by-point review of the year but that was too boring to finish. Instead I tried to consider emerging themes and lessons learned. It is still unbearably self-indulgent, but in an exciting, new way.



2010 was the year of quitting. Or of learning to say no. That's a more positive spin. I quit the Swap-o-Rama-Rama which went on to have a life of its own, diametrically opposed to my vision of the event, but a successful event despite (or because of) that change. MIX flourished in the capable hands of my planning partner Sarah, and I gladly gave her the reins to drive future events. We also turned down a large partnership opportunity for the Craftstravaganza. Overall the goal is to select projects that play to our strengths, benefit our people, and don't totally overwhelm us with too much work.



We moved into our new home in the country, of course, and all the life changes that come along with that shift. I sold my motorcycle, got some chickens, and we did our own nesting activities to make the house our own. I'm still 100% satisfied with the change. Everything is better. I'm in love.

Things I made:
I like making things.

The hours I spent at St. John's Abbey observing the Benedictine Day of Prayer would certainly rank as one of my favorite spiritual experiences, and I would even rank it as one of the most amazing days in my life so far. One of my fellow retreatants attends annually. I hope I could do the same. For the whole story, here's part 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.



Last of all, we had a lovely Christmas season at home. We even hosted my family for two parties, a first for us, and a welcome change from the driving circuit we normally endure... the difference in Natalie's mood at the end of the day was incredible. She loved playing with her uncles and convinced them to juggle, march, and fly her around in a nonstop Christmas carnival.



I geeked out on games during the break. Once I was playing Super Paper Mario while playing Facebook games while listening to a gaming podcast. Shut up, it was awesome. My brothers stayed an extra day for a marathon session of Dungeons & Dragons that closed out the campaign we started in July of 2009. I was excited to surprise Jenna with her gift of a Wii because I thought she really wanted one, but well... apparently she only suggested it because she thought that I wanted one. It's the thought that counts, right? Anyway, we played a lot of Muscle March with my brothers and cousins. Now there's a gift that keeps on giving.



I'm going to call it the best Christmas ever. And it was a very good year for us.

No comments: